Sunday, July 04, 2010

Conflicted parts

A conflict begins and ends in the hearts and minds of people, not in the hilltops ~ Amos Oz

Conflict is very often at the core of an issue. One part of you wants, feels or does something and another part is in conflict about that. Any conflict has the effect of stalling any progress or resolution of an issue, so it's very useful to ask yourself whether you have any conflict about the issue and tap on the conflict itself. For example, if you learned at 4 years of age that not only was it not acceptable to express anger, but you did not even have the right to feel angry in the first place, you most likely will have conflict about anger later on in life. As a result, you may suppress anger, feel guilty when anger arises which compounds an initially simple issue of being able to feel anger and express it. Learning how to fully feel and express a feeling, engages our natural release mechanism for resolving painful emotions.

Some sample set up statements you could try are:

Even though a part of me feels angry about ... another part feels disloyal for feeling angry and I completely accept how both parts feel

Even though I feel conflicted about ... I accept that's how I feel right now

Even though I don't like the part that feels this way, I choose to understand what is behind that feeling

No comments: