Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Chronic pain and sensitivity

By EFT Master Rue Hass, taken from emofree.com
"Chronic Pain IS an emotional freedom technique. This is true of all chronic conditions.
I believe that chronic pain can emerge from years of hiding, holding back, caging, repressing our deepest self-expression. Chronic pain is the body’s expression of emotional and spiritual pain. Pain gets our attention! It is calling us to free our deep spirit.
We are only just learning how to respond to that call, and EFT is our key to the cage. This series of articles on calming and clearing chronic pain will describe some of the primary emotions and beliefs that hold the cage in place, and how we can use EFT to, literally, free our souls.
An Energy Psychology Definition of Chronic pain
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, the source of acupuncture, the heart is called the 'King' of the organs. The Internal Medicine Classic states: 'The heart commands all of the organs and viscera, houses the spirit, and controls the emotions.' In Chinese, the word for 'heart' (hsin) is also used to denote 'mind'. When the Heart is strong and steady, it controls the emotions; when it is weak and wavering, the emotions rebel and prey upon the heart-mind, which then loses its command over the body.
What we call chronic pain is an interruption in a particularly sensitive person’s electrical system resulting from emotional trauma. Repeated experiences of stress or trauma can cause the energy system to become disrupted and the flow of life force restricted, limiting our access to our capacity to think and act and make choices. If we repress the emotions (sadness, anger, fear) that arise in response to our traumatic experiences, the electrical system disruption will eventually show up as pain and dis-ease in the body. Clearing the disruption can clear the pain and change thought.
A Psycho-Spiritual Definition of Chronic pain
Chronic pain is obstructed spiritual energy reflected as pain in the body. One could call it a sadness of the heart. Spirit is the best in us, our portal to all that is good and hopeful. Some of the essential qualities of spirit are love, expansiveness, generosity, creativity, imagination, possibility, openness, growth, flow and purpose.
A sensitive person can be extraordinarily in tune with her or his spiritual qualities, but may feel unable to fully express them in what appears to be a harsh, critical, wounding world. As a result of traumas, a sensitive person may develop chronic pain from an emotional response to a limiting belief around which their whole being seems to constrict: I can’t express what I really feel, I can’t be who I really am, I am not good enough. In order to matter or have significance in the world, in order to have inner peace, and in order to justify taking care of myself, I must remain ill. In a non-logical, unconscious intuitive way, this is a self-protective approach. Changing beliefs and choices can free the spirit and heal the body."

1 comment:

Ed Howes said...

This fits my 87 year old mother to a T. I can't, I can't, I can't, which translates: I do not blieve you and I won't be bothered about it - but oh my God my back hurts, I can't think or remember any more. I don't want to change anything in spite of all the pain.

How do we help those who refuse to help their selves?